In the UK we have not yet got the centralised support from the Department for Education which is required, the response we received from our letter to the Department for Education was not only lacklustre but contained outright lies about climate change being on the primary curriculum. We know that the vital shift in education to help children thrive in a very different future is possible, as recently in Italy the Ministry of Education has put the crisis at the centre of their education model. Until the DfE meet XR Educator’s demands for a complete change to the education system, we are very lucky to have many different organisations and individuals who have produced superb resources and projects.
Below is in no way an exhaustive list, there are loads of resources and projects out there and even more being made. Imagine if we had the time and space put aside in our work lives to actually put all of this and more into action for the benefit of our students.
1. Guide to declaring a climate emergency at a school, based on the success at Morpeth School: https://learningrebellion.earth/…/the-guide-to-declaring-a…/
2. A toolkit to support student activism in school: https://www.globalactionplan.org.uk/…/climate-chaos-respons…
3. Standalone scheme of work about climate collapse for KS3 or KS4: https://learningrebellion.earth/…/geography-climate-collap…/
4. World’s Largest Lesson resources on all of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, with lots of lesson plans: http://worldslargestlesson.globalgoals.org/all-lesson-plans/
5. An assembly for school children (secondary) which has a video to help you plan delivery: https://learningrebellion.earth/…/climate-change-assembly-…/
6. A series of podcasts about how to talk to children about the crisis: https://www.climatepsychologyalliance.org/podcasts
7. Teach the Future, youth-led campaign for curriculum change: https://www.teachthefuture.uk/
8. UN Accredited Climate Change teacher training (online): https://teachers.educcateglobal.org/ClimateChangeTeacherAca…
9. ThoughtBox have released their ‘Changing Climates’ curriculum for primary, secondary and post-16, sign up now to receive it for free: https://www.thoughtboxeducation.com/free-curriculum-changin…